Friday, October 3, 2008

10/3/08

I love this time of year! Since I do not measure the year as most people do - mine starts in August/September - the "beginning" always seems more pleasant than the end. I think in my students' minds the beginning of the school year is awful, but overall they seem to be more stressed at the end of the year, especially 11th graders. When my students are stressed, they are unpleasant, which in turn, makes me unpleasant. So, the beginning of the year is my happy place.

Plus, Halloween is soon. I adore Halloween! The magic and mystery surrounding this time of year has always intrigued me and Halloween is the celebration of all things mysterious.

And I get a carve a pumpkin - really, how cool is that?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mrs. Stoklosa,
I feel you girl! I agree with you I think that the beginning of the year is simple and easy and goes by extremely fast, but at the end things start to slow down and the projects and assignments build up. I have more stress at the end of the year because either I'm trying to get my grades higher than i can or I'm trying to finish all of my assignment quickly before the end.
I too love halloween. When I was little it was my favorite holiday until i was like, "wait isn't christmas more important?" So now christmas is my favorite holiday but I still LOVE halloween. I love dressing up and going out, I love everything that has to do with fright but mostly i love the whole witch, goblin, vampire, monster scene.

Dan said...

I wish I liked the beginning of the year as much as you do! October is by far the busiest month in marching season, which I hate because its not nearly as fun and productive as winter percussion. My grades always drop because of frequent practices, games and competitions, and I never go out on weekends! The end of the school year is much more exciting because world championships are around this time and I'm getting excited as I make my plans for summer.